Today's Daily Update
The House will consider four bills under suspension of the rules. The Senate will resume consideration of the nomination of Steven Mnuchin to be Secretary of the Treasury.
- The House was not in session.
- On Monday, the House will meet at 12:00 p.m. for morning hour and 2:00 p.m. for legislative business. Votes will be postponed until 6:30 p.m.
- Legislation Considered Under Suspension of the Rules:
- H.R. 609 – To designate the Department of Veterans Affairs health care center in Center Township, Butler County, Pennsylvania, as the “Abie Abraham VA Clinic” (Sponsored by Rep. Mike Kelly / Veterans Affairs Committee)
- H.R. 512 – WINGMAN Act, as amended (Sponsored by Rep. Ted Yoho / Veterans Affairs Committee)
- H.R. 244 – HIRE Vets Act, as amended (Sponsored by Rep. Paul Cook / Veterans Affairs Committee)
- H.R. 974 – BRAVE Act (Sponsored by Rep. Kathleen Rice / Veterans Affairs Committee)
- No Roll Call Votes
- Legislative Business:
- Discharged Commerce of H.R.590 and referred to EPW.
- Adopted S.Res.44, designating February 6 through 10, 2017, as “National School Counseling Week”.
- Adopted S.Res.45, designating February 2017 as “American Heart Month” and February 3, 2017, as “National Wear Red Day”.
- Adopted S.Res.47, supporting the contributions of Catholic schools and goals of National Catholic Schools Week.
- Adopted S.Res.58, congratulating the New England Patriots on their victory in Super Bowl LI.
- Agreed to H.Con.Res.18, permitting the use of the Rotunda of the Capitol for a ceremony as part of the commemoration of the days of remembrance of victims of the Holocaust.
- The Senate stands adjourned until 12:00 noon on Monday, February 13, 2017.
- Following any Leader remarks, the Senate will enter Executive Session and resume consideration of the nomination of Steven Mnuchin to be Secretary of the Treasury, with 7 hours of post-cloture debate time remaining. Upon the use or yielding back of time, the Senate will vote on confirmation of the Mnuchin and Shulkin (VA) nominations.
- Monday, February 13th at approximately 7:00pm – 2 roll call votes:
- Confirmation of Steven Mnuchin to be Secretary of the Treasury
- Confirmation of David Shulkin to be Secretary of Veterans Affairs
- Tuesday, February 14th at approximately 11:00am – 1 roll call vote:
- Confirmation of Linda McMahon to be Administrator of the Small Business Administration
Hearings Covered by W&J Today
No hearings are scheduled for coverage today.
Notable Legislation Introduced
H.R.999 — 115th Congress (2017-2018)
To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to expand access to Coverdell education savings accounts.
Sponsor: Rep. Walberg, Tim [R-MI-7] (Introduced 02/09/2017) Cosponsors: (1)
Committees: House - Ways and Means
Latest Action: 02/09/2017 Referred to the House Committee on Ways and Means.